skip to main content
Ceremonies in East Sussex

Giving Notice

Giving your notice means, declaring you are both free to enter into a marriage or civil partnership. It is a legal requirement that must be completed prior to your marriage or civil partnership taking place.

Both of you are required to attend a face to face appointment at your local register office.

If you live in East Sussex you can book an appointment at one of our register offices in Hastings, Eastbourne, Lewes, or Crowborough. Please call us on 0345 60 80 198 to book your notice appointment.

If you live outside East Sussex you can find your local register office here.

A statutory fee of £35 per person is charged for notice appointments, payable at the time of booking your appointment.

You can give your notice up to 12 months in advance.

You must have been resident in the registration district where you will give your notice for at least 7 full days before your notice appointment.

Once your notice has been given a clear 28 days must pass before you are able to enter into a marriage or civil partnership. This statutory waiting period may be extended if you and/or your partner are a non EEA or Swiss national.

Your marriage or civil partnership must take place at your chosen venue within 12 months of giving notice.

If you change the venue or your notice expires you will need to give new notices.


If you and/or your partner live outside England and Wales

If you wish to marry or register a civil partnership in England and Wales you must meet the residency requirement. You will need to establish a residency within England and Wales and can only give notice at a Register Office if you have lived in the relevant registration district for at least 7 full days (this works out as the equivalent of 9 days as the day of arrival and the day of notice do not count).

You can contact us for further information or if you have any questions 0345 60 80 198.


If one or both of you are non-EEA citizens

If you and/or your partner are a non-EEA or Swiss national you will need to give notice at a Designated Register Office.

Please note this may not be your local register office.

For further information please visit:



There are certain identification documents that you will need to provide at your notice appointment.

Failure to bring the correct documents may result in the cancellation of your appointment and the loss of your fee.

The Registrar will confirm which documents are necessary when booking your appointment.


These documents need to prove your name, age, nationality, address and that you are free to enter into a marriage or civil partnership.

Photocopies or electronic documents are NOT acceptable.


Proof of Name, Age & Nationality

For British citizens only

  • A current valid UK passport

If you do not have a valid UK passport please contact our ceremonies team 0345 60 80 198 who will advise you what documents you will need.


For EEA and Swiss nationals you will need to show one of the following

  • A current valid EEA passport
  • Valid national ID card (issued by an EEA state or Switzerland)
  • Valid travel document (issued by the Home Office)


Proof of address

Each of you will need to provide one form of address ID.

  • Most recent Council Tax bill
  • Utility bill (dated within the last three months)
  • Bank or Building society statement (dated within the last month)
  • Current valid UK driving licence
  • Current mortgage or tenancy agreement (dated within the last 12 months)


Evidence of legal ending to any previous marriage or civil partnership

Divorce or Dissolution

  • Original court stamped Decree Absolute issued by the County Court or High Court Family Division
  • If your divorce or dissolution was from outside England and Wales, you will need to provide the original court document with an English translation (if necessary)
    • Consideration of divorce documents can incur an extra cost. Please contact us to confirm 0345 60 80 198.

If you are using a different name to the one on the divorce or dissolution, then you must provide documents to link all your names. This may be in the form of a previous marriage or civil partnership certificate or a change of name deed.

Widowed or a surviving Civil Partner

  • Original death certificate of your late spouse or civil partner, and the marriage or civil partnership certificate if you are not named on the death certificate


Evidence of change of name

  • The original change of name deed or equivalent


All documents MUST be original physical documents.

Photocopies are NOT acceptable.

Any court issued documents MUST be stamped by the court.


To book your notice please call us on 0345 60 80 198. Please note a statutory fee of £35 per person is payable when booking your notice appointment. Please have your credit or debit card to hand when calling.


You can find further information here


If you have any questions please feel free to contact us on 0345 60 80 198.


Privacy Notice

To arrange your ceremony you will need to share some personal information with us.

Please refer to our Privacy Notice for details about how and why we use your data.


Ceremonies Newsletter

Sign up to receive the Ceremonies in East Sussex email newsletter.