skip to main content
Ceremonies in East Sussex

Getting Married Abroad

If you are a British National getting married or forming a civil partnership abroad there may be certain things you need to do before you go or documents you must have.

Always contact the local authorities in the country where you want to get married or form a civil partnership to find out exactly what you need.

Each country has its own procedure so it is important to check exactly what the requirements are.

Your marriage or civil partnership will be legally recognised in the UK if:

  • You follow the correct process in the country where you are to be married or register your civil partnership
  • It would be allowed under UK Law

You don’t need to register your marriage or civil partnership in the UK if the above apply.

Further information can be found at

Ceremonies Newsletter

Sign up to receive the Ceremonies in East Sussex email newsletter.