skip to main content

Marrying in Religious Premises

Marrying in an Anglican church

If you are getting married in an Anglican church, the religious preliminaries will be followed. This involves the reading of the Banns. You will need to speak to the vicar to organise this.

There is usually no involvement from the Register Office. However, if you and/or your partner are from outside the EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland and subject to immigration control you will be required to Give Notice at your local Register Office. 

Marrying in any other church or religious building

For marriages taking place in any other religious building, notices will need to given at your local Register Office. 

If your chosen venue doesn't have an Authorised Person who is able to register your marriage, you will need to arrange for a Registrar to attend your ceremony in order to legally register your marriage. A Registrar from the district where the premises is located will need to attend.  

There is an £104 charge for a Registrar to attend plus £12.50 for each marriage certificate ordered.

If you require the attendance of an East Sussex Registrar or would like further information please call our Ceremonies Hub on 0345 60 80 198.


Ceremonies Newsletter

Sign up to receive the Ceremonies in East Sussex email newsletter.