|For the latest information about ceremonies during the Covid-19 pandemic see our Covid Update Page |
Each of you are required to provide certain identification documents to the Registrar at your notice appointment.
- All documents MUST be original
- Photocopies are NOT acceptable
- Any court issued documents MUST be stamped by the court
- All necessary documents will be confirmed when you book your appointment
- Failure to provide the correct documents may result in the cancellation of your appointment and the loss of your fee
- A statutory fee of £35 per person is payable on booking your appointment
To book your notice appointment at an East Sussex Register Office call 0345 60 80 198.
If Giving Notice at a Designated Register Office the documents required may differ to those listed below. Please contact the relevant Designated Register Office to confirm the documents you will need.
Proof of Name, Age & Nationality
For British citizens only
If you do not have a valid UK passport please contact our ceremonies team 0345 60 80 198 who will advise what alternative documents you will need.
For EEA and Swiss nationals
- A valid EEA passport
- Valid national ID card (issued by an EEA state or Switzerland)
- Valid travel document (issued by the Home Office)
Proof of Address
- Council Tax bill (dated within the last 12 months)
- Utility bill (dated within the last 3 months)
- Bank or Building society statement (dated within the last month)
- Current valid UK driving licence
- Most recent mortgage statement (dated within the last 12 months) or current tenancy agreement
Evidence of legal ending to any previous marriage or civil partnership
Divorce or Dissolution
- Original court stamped Decree Absolute issued by the County Court or High Court Family Division
- If your divorce or dissolution was heard outside England and Wales, you will need to provide the original court document with an English translation (if necessary)
- Consideration of divorce documents can incur an extra cost. Please contact us to confirm 0345 60 80 198.
If you are using a different name to the one shown on your divorce or dissolution papers, then you must provide documents to link all your names. This may be in the form of a previous marriage or civil partnership certificate or a change of name deed.
Widowed or a surviving Civil Partner
- Original death certificate of your late spouse or civil partner, and the marriage or civil partnership certificate if you are not named on the death certificate
Evidence of change of name
- The original change of name deed or equivalent
To book your Notice at an East Sussex Register Office call 0345 60 80 198.
Back to Giving Notice
Arranging a ceremony will require you to share some personal information with us. Refer to our Privacy Notice for details about how and why we use your data.