skip to main content

Notice Documents

Any person who knowingly or wilfully gives false information to a registrar for the insertion on marriage or civil partnership schedule or makes a false declaration to secure a marriage or civil partnership is liable to prosecution for perjury.

Both of you must provide certain identification documents to the registrar at your notice appointment.

  • All documents MUST be original
  • Photocopies are NOT acceptable
  • Any court issued documents MUST either be stamped by the court or if sent via email proof of the sender must be shown to the registrar
  • Failure to provide the correct documents may result in the cancellation of your appointment and the loss of your fee
  • A statutory fee of £35 or £47* per person is payable on booking your appointment

*Dependent on your nationality and immigration status.

To book your notice appointment at an East Sussex Register Office call 0345 60 80 198.

Evidence of Name, Age, Sex & Nationality

For British citizens a valid, in date UK passport or the following.

Date of Birth Evidence required
Before 1 January 1983

A UK birth certificate together with another document (e.g.valid photo card driving licence) to show use of your current name.

After 1 January 1983

Full UK birth certificate plus your Mother’s UK birth certificate (or Father’s UK birth certificate if your parents are or have been married to each other.)


If you mother or father was born after 1 January 1983, you will also need full UK birth certificates of your grandparents.

After 1 July 2006 Full UK birth certificate and evidence of either parents’ British citizenship or settled status at the time of your birth (e.g, either parents’ full UK birth certificate (if the relevant parent was born before 1 January 1983), or passport describing the relevant parent as a British Citizen or indicating that he or she then had indefinite leave to enter or remain).


For Irish Citizens a valid, in date Irish passport.

For EU Citizens with Settled Status (EUSS) a valid, in date EU passport and an EUSS check code.

You can get your share code on the website. You will need to provide this code to the registrar at your notice appointment. 

 View and prove your immigration status - GOV.UK (

For EU Citizens without Settled Status and for all other nationalities. you should bring your passport and evidence of your appropriate Visa for marriage/civil partnership or immigration status.

Evidence of your address

One of the following documents must be provided

Evidence type Notes
Council Tax Bill Dated within 12 months of your appointment
Utility Bill

Dated within 3 months of your appointment

Please note a mobile phone bill or TV contract cannot be used
Bank or Building Society Statement 

Full statement dated showing your address, within 1 month of your appointment

Valid UK Driving Licence 

A valid and in date UK Driving Licence showing your correct home address.

You can be fined up to £1000 if you do not tell the DVLA when your address changes. Change the address on your driving licence - GOV.UK (

Mortgage Statement 

Dated within 12 months of your appointment

Tenancy Agreement 

Current agreement 


Evidence of the legal ending to any previous marriage or civil partnership

Evidence type Notes
The original court stamped Decree Absolute, Final Order or Dissolution Order issued by the County Court or High Court Family Division

If your divorce or dissolution is in another language, you will need to provide the original court document along with an English translation. If you received these documents electronically, you must show evidence of where it was sent from.

Consideration of foreign divorce documents may incur an additional fee. Please call the Ceremonies Hub for details 0345 60 80 198.

An original death certificate of your late spouse or civil partner

If you are not named on the death certificate, you will also need to bring an original marriage or civil partnership certificate.


Evidence of change of name

If you are using a different name to the one used on any of your documents, or the documents you are bringing show different names, then you must provide further evidence to link all the names shown. This may be in the form of.

  • Previous marriage or civil partnership certificate(s)
  • Change of name deed(s)

To book your notice at an East Sussex Register Office or if you have a question about the documents, call 0345 60 80 198.


After your appointment

  • Your notice will be put on public display for 28 days at East Sussex Register Office, Hookstead, Goldsmith's Avenue, Crowborough, TN6 1RH. During this time you cannot marry or form a civil partnership.
  • Your notice will be valid for 12 months from the day of your appointment. 
  • Your notice is venue specific. If you change the venue, new notices will need to be given and the appropriate fees paid. 

Back to Giving Notice

Arranging a ceremony will require you to share some personal information with us. Refer to our Privacy Notice for details about how and why we use your data.

Ceremonies Newsletter

Sign up to receive the Ceremonies in East Sussex email newsletter.