skip to main content
Ceremonies in East Sussex

Plan your ceremony

Congratulations! You’re engaged.

There is so much to think about when it comes to planning your big day, and it can all get quite overwhelming.

Don’t panic! We are here to help make sure it is as straightforward and stress free as possible.

Whether you're planning a small intimate affair or a grand event, our step by step guide will help make sure you’ve got everything covered.


  1. Where and When?
  2. Booking your Celebrant and Registrar
  3. Giving your Notice
  4. Let’s get personal

1. Where and When?

The first thing  to do is decide where and when you would like your ceremony to take place.

East Sussex offers you the choice of over 100 licensed venues, including our four Register Offices located in Crowborough, Eastbourne, Hastings and Lewes.

We offer ceremonies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year (subject to availability) and bookings can be taken up to 3 years in advance.

If your perfect location or venue is not licensed for marriages please take a look at  Weddings with a Difference and find out how we can help create your perfect day.

Back to top

2. Booking your Celebrant and Registrar

Once you've decided where and when you would like your ceremony to take place, you will need to contact our ceremonies team to book your Registrars.

You will be provided with two Registrars.

One will be your Celebrant and lead you through your ceremony, and the other will ensure all the legalities are fulfilled and register your marriage/civil partnership.

If your ceremony is taking place at one of our Register Offices then your Celebrant, Registrar and venue will all be booked at the same time.

If your ceremony is taking place elsewhere you will need to arrange hire with your chosen venue directly, and then contact us to book your Registrars.

Ceremony fees are payable in full at the time of booking. The fee includes a £100 non-refundable booking fee.

Your booking will be charged at the current year’s price regardless of the date of your ceremony (up to 3 years in advance). Ceremony fees are set annually and are subject to change on the 1st April each year.

To book your Registrars call us on 0345 60 80 198.

Back to top

3. Giving Notice

Anyone wanting to marry or form a civil partnership in England or Wales must register their intention to do so; this is called Giving Notice. This is a legal requirement that must be completed prior to your marriage or civil partnership ceremony taking place. 

Giving Notice means declaring you are free to marry or form a civil partnership, and requires you to attend a face to face appointment at your local register office. Where you must provide certain documents to prove your name, age and nationality. 

For further information see our Giving Notice page.

Back to top

4. Let’s get personal

You’ve picked your venue, you’ve booked your Registrars and your notice appointment is arranged.

Now's the time to get personal. This is your day and we want it to be as special and memorable as possible.

Having your ceremony here with us in East Sussex allows you to personalise your ceremony. You may wish to include readings, poems, music and personal vows. Personal touches are a lovely way of enhancing your ceremony.

We are more than happy to discuss any special arrangements you may have and will do everything we can to make your ceremony personal as possible. 

For legal reasons any additions to your civil ceremony cannot include religious content or connotations.

To include personal additions in your ceremony we ask that you complete the relevant Ceremony Options Form and submit to us a least one month before your ceremony. Please do not complete this form until you have Given Notice.


Our Supplier Directory features some fantastic local suppliers, all who can add something unique to your special day. Take a look now and create your dream ceremony team.

Ceremony Extras

Enhance your ceremony with a little something extra; purchase the pen you sign the register with, an extra commemorative certificate as a keepsake of the day, or have your certificates presented in a silver plated scroll case. Optional extras can add a little something to your ceremony; take a look at the commemorative products available.

If you have any questions or anything you wish to discuss please contact us on 0345 60 80 198 or complete our enquiry form.


Privacy Notice

To arrange a ceremony you will need to share some personal information with us. Refer to our Privacy Notice for details about how and why we use your data.


Back to top

Ceremonies Newsletter

Sign up to receive the Ceremonies in East Sussex email newsletter.